Thursday, December 11, 2008

Outside Reading Post-#3

When I last left off the McCourts new life in Ireland wasn't going to well, and I was hoping that their situation was going to get better, but unfortunately it hasn't.  Mr. McCourt has a job that pays 19 shillings which isn't enough to pay rent and feed his family.  So one morning when the family is eating breakfast Franks grandmother tells Mr. McCourt that if he wants he can go to the IRA so that he can ask for money to commend what he's done. Before they leave they go to church and even there the family is referred to as Yanks "... he hoped he'd see us all at Mass, especially the little Yankees..."(McCourt 48).  Once they are there Mr. McCourt asks for money but the man working the desk refuses him even the fare to get a bus ride home.  The whole McCourt family went along to try and get money, but they were sent home empty handed. 

The McCourts have a much worse life in Ireland than in America.  Mr McCourt has a terrible job, no money and his children are learning terrible habits.  I really don't understand why the the McCourts family wanted them to return to Ireland with them.  They too are living terrible lives, and for me if i loved someone I would want the best life for them.  This life can't be found in Ireland.  The kids are being given drugs, not being fed, and aren't receiving an education.  I think that if the McCourts stay in Ireland the kids will not be able to make better lives for themselves.  Although this book is sad, the writing style is very intriguing. Frank puts a funny flare to his writing and makes the rare funny parts of his life almost stick out just as much as the unfortunate events.      

McCourt, Frank. Angela's Aches. New York: touchstone, 1996.

5 comments:

Samantha said...

That is very sad! It's so unfortunate that poverty effects people in such a way. I agree that the kids need to get out of Ireland and need to make a better live for themselves.

Emily Fu. said...

Sounds like a sad book. I wonder why the parents did not let their kids stay in America, but I guess I can see a some reasons even if they aren't very good ones. If the kids are not old enough, then that might be it. Or possibly the parents are just too selfish to let their kids go. Either way, their life in Ireland sounds bad.

EmilyC said...

I think it is interesting that even though there are several people who are reading this book, everyone takes away different things from it. From what I have read from this book, it seems extremely sad and pretty depressing but I am really interested to see how it ends.

Spenser said...

This is a very sad story and I agree that I don't undersatand why they left America. In America they left just as the depression was ending adn there they had support. In Ireland they had a grandma that didn't want them there adn no friends for help. Ireland was bad for the kids and they grew up in a rough place. I am interested to read your thoughts concerning the rest of Mr. McCourts book and good job on your post.

Ted M. said...

My guess is that they didn't know all of this would happen to their family, or they wouldn't have moved. Looking back on a decision, the correct path is always clear. Give them some slack