Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Blog Question Response #2

In the play All My Sons there is one main character that has to make the immense decision of family over society, Joe Keller.  He is forced to make the decision between his sons future, and the lives of the pilots who fly with the parts that his company makes.  Keller decided that his son, Chris's future was worth more than the lives of many men in the army.  While Keller and Chris are fighting Keller admits, "Chris, I did it for you, it was a chance and I took it for you.  I'm sixty-one years old, when would I have another chance to make something for you?" (Miller 70).  Keller felt that his duty as a father was to create a better life for his son than he had.  Keller does exactly this, yet he forgets to show his son what is the "right" thing to do.  This decision is a very difficult one, yet Keller feels that he had only one option if he wanted to be a successful father.  In addition to Keller believing Chris's future was at the up most importance, he also thinks that his businesses reputation and success is more important than a humans life. While making the decision to send out the cracked parts he thought of his businesses future and reputation for each of the two possible situations. Keller, attempting to defend his decision tells "I'm in business, a man in business; a hundred and twenty cracked, you're out of business... you stuff is no good; they close you up, they tear up your contracts, what the hell's it to them?" (Miller 69).  Keller knew that if he didn't send anything that his business wouldn't make a profit, and the army would look to another company for their products; so he told Steve Deever, his partner, to weld the cracks and send them out anyways.  He did this so that his company could still make profit, even though it meant many men would die, and families would suffer.  Keller had a huge decision to make, and he choose to make his son's future better rather than making sure his products were safe.  Although his decision helped out his Chris, he wasn't happy with what his father decided. 

Keller was able to make this huge decision, yet I don't feel as if I can. The love that a parent feels for a child is like no other love in the world, and can sway and alter you ethics.  I feel that I'm not in the right position to make this decision because I have no children and I have never been in the terrible situation where I've had to choose between family and society.  I also feel that I'm incapable of making this life changing decision because I've never felt that type of pressure and I think during that moment you have to make the decision your random feelings and pressure can sway your choice.  In my life I hope that I never have to make the terribly hard decision of the future of my family over the well being of people I've never met.  

3 comments:

Emily Fl. said...

I liked in your blog when you said that Joe didn't show Chris the "right" thing to do. I agree, Joe should have handled his situation differently, but he was also in a tight spot. I also agree with the fact that we are not old enough to know/make huge responsible decisions like Joe did at the point in life we are at right now. I hope I never have to make a decision like Joe!

christina said...

I agree that it's something we as teenager can't even imagine dealing with. We can estimate but trying to thing of the decision would would make in the same situation is really difficult. I guess we will just have to wait and see if our views change once we have kids, if we do. I like how you were honest about it instead of just coming up with an answer, you told what you really thought. I also hope that we never have to deal with things like this, it's kind remarkable the pressure some get put under and either was the decision has a negative effect on someone. Great job!

Spenser said...

I agree with Emily that I like how you say Joe didn't show the right way to do things to Chris. Again your ideas come through your writing and you put time into your thoughts about the topic instead of just spitting out an answer. I do wonder what kind of a person it would take to hurt other people not to save your family but only to get a bit of money. Joe took the easy way out and I am shocked at how anyone could do that. You bring up a good point though that we are nowhere near old enough to say what we would do in a situation like this but perspective comes with age.