Thursday, October 9, 2008

Week 3- Bill Murrays Devistating Divorce

The second I saw this title I was extremely intrigued by the devastating news. This story is about the terrible breakup of Bill Murray and his wife Jennifer Butler Murray. Jennifer filed for divorce during may of 2008, and in the papers she accused Bill of being an alcoholic and being addicted to marijuana. This is such an unfortunate divorce because they were married for 11 years, and personally I felt they were perfect for each other. Yet the great thing is that instead of Bill being depressed for a long time, he's engaging him self in his new movie, The City of Ember. I feel that the allegations made by Jennifer were preposterous. Ever since I saw the amazing move Meatballs Bill was one of my favorite actors/comedians. He has been an amazing man, and has graced us with many great movies and episodes of SNL. I'm truly saddened to hear about this divorce. Although I am a Bill Murray fan, I also felt the need to blog about this article due to the augmentation of divorces in our society. I have many friends who's parents are divorced; sometimes it's good and sometimes it's not. I feel this is an issue in today's society because either people aren't taking enough time to consider their love, or yet just evidence that marriage is a hard thing. I picked this article because it involved a current issues, and is a big deal for Bill Murray fans. This connects to Siddhartha because in chapter 7, Samsara, Siddhartha must fix whats wrong with his life (right intention) so that he can proceed in the eight fold path, and this is the same as what Jennifer is doing. Unfortunately Jennifer felt that for her to proceed happily with her life, it didn't involve Bill so she fixed her problem.


"Bill Murray Looks for Renewal After Devastating Divorce". CNN News. News article October 9,
2008.

6 comments:

Andrea L. said...

You must be quite a Murray fan! I really liked how you first explained the situation unbaisedly, and then told your opinion. It allwos the reader to first take their opinion, before reading yours. You related the story to both your own personal and class experiences well. Good Work! :)

christina said...

I agree with andrea. You really do present it in a friendly way. I agree with what you said about divorce. I think this is a cool topic because it really is a prevalent issue in our society. It doesn't really get seen by society as a huge deal, it happens all the time, but what ever happened to happily every after? In some situations necessary measure need to be taken, like divorce, but it just seems so common compare to how it used to be. What's really changed in our society to make this huge difference. Have we forgotten the true meaning of love and marraige? Are we too tainted by what the media says love is? I have no idea but it really makes me wonder if divorce numbers will just continue to rise, or ever go back down. Great article!

Sara A.'s EE10 Blog said...

What an interesting article you found! I didn't know that Bill and his wife had broken up and it seems like it is very important to you :) You made a GREAT connection to Siddhartha. It is very much like that because in both cases, Bill and Siddhartha are suffering and must fix what is going wrong.

Molly A. said...

I liked that you posted about somone you actually liked, but I didn't see much opinion. I think you tried to hard to be unbiased. So, in the future, you can show more opinions.

Mikayla L. said...

I very much liked the way you set up your analysis. I like that you not only gave a description of the article but also your point-of-view on the matter. I thought your description of Bill Murray was intriguing and funny. I also liked the comparison to Siddhartha.

Ted M. said...

I don't know anything about Bill Murray, so the information you presented was all new to me. You did a good job of explaining the situation, and I liked your anaylisis. I also have many friends with divorced parents. I agree with your conclusion. Nice.